This article will tell you how to create a crossword in Google Docs. Crossword puzzles are a great mental workout, but learning to create your own will take your alliterative skills to the next level! Whether you want a fun way to practice your vocabulary words or try your hand at creating a newspaper-worthy cipher, you can easily create a puzzle for any skill level using Google Sheets.
Let’s learn how to make a crossword puzzle using Google Sheets. To make a crossword word puzzle with Google Sheets, you must use the templates from a website called Flippity. Let’s look into it.
Also Read: How to Create a Poll in Gmail Email for Free
What Is Flippity and How Does It Work?
The free template provided in Flippity has inbuilt two columns named Word and Clue. There you can edit the words and clues. You can add many cues as you want, but the more terms you use, the less likely your crossword will fit on a single printed page.
Other templates are also available on the Flippity website. It offers spreadsheet templates for quizzes, crosswords, spelling tests, etc.
After creating the Crossword Puzzle, you can print it and play it with your teammates or friends. You cannot play crossword puzzles online. As a result, you must first print it to play the game.
Also Read: How To Change Page Color On Google Docs
Creating a Crossword Puzzle Using Google Sheets
Creating a crossword puzzle using Google is a fun and simple process. Here’s how to do it:
- First, go to Flippity.net’s crossword template; by following this link, a page of instructions will open. In the first step, click on the link that says make a copy of this template.
- A new link will open, prompting you to make a copy of the crossword puzzle. This will require you to sign in to your Google account. If you are already signed in, click on make a copy.
- Words and Clue are the names of two columns. In the column, you can enter your words and clues. You can also name the sheet in the top left corner. After you’ve customized the Crossword game in Google Sheets, go back to File >Share>Publish to the web. Then, to publish the template, click Publish.
- When you publish the template, you will receive a link that you can copy and paste into a new tab search engine. However, simply publishing the template does not imply that the puzzle game is available for download.
- To download the puzzle, you need to click on the get the link here tab in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- You’ll see a link; click on it to go to the crossword. Now, you’ll see an option to print the crossword and click on it. You can either choose to print the crossword or save it as a PDF directly.
Keep in mind that you should not edit any cells with a blue background. These are part of the template, and if you alter them, the spreadsheet might not work correctly.
Another thing to keep in mind is not to overlook this step: Go to the file settings for the file you want to publish and select Publish to the Web>Publish; otherwise, you won’t be able to print your crossword. Following that, you can get a link that you can share with your friends so that they can view and use the crossword puzzle.
Also Read: How To Change Name Of A Facebook Group
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it safe to use templates on Google sheets?
Yes, it is entirely safe for you to use templates in Google sheets. However, you need to ensure that you don’t use those templates commercially since they are considered intellectual property.
The template creators also have ways to hide their watermarks and logos deep inside these templates, which, if removed, will disrupt the whole template. So make sure you use them wisely.
There is no direct download button on Flippity.net to download the crossword and share it. However, you can print and save the crossword as a PDF to share it further.
Playing crossword puzzles is unquestionably beneficial in various ways, including improving vocabulary, relieving stress, and eliminating brain diseases. Another enjoyable activity is making a crossword puzzle in Google Sheets. You can make your word and clue list and print it. So, make a crossword puzzle game and start playing it.
- How To Insert GIFs In Google Slides [3 Easy Methods]
- How to Add Audio to Google Slides and Embed YouTube Videos
- How to Change Alarm Sound on iPhone 
- How to See Links You Have Clicked On Instagram
- How to Crop Google Sheets [Remove extra rows and columns]
- How to Send an eCard on Gmail [500+ Templates]
- 5 Best Scrolling Text GIF Generator Websites