Although Windows 11 comes as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, users still want to find the product key in case they lose activation after moving to Windows 11. To make things easier for you, we’ve put together this handy guide on how to get your Windows 11 product key in no time. No matter you have a digital license associated with your Microsoft account or an OEM license associated with your laptop, you can easily find the product key on Windows 11. So let’s see the different methods without any delay.
- Find your Windows 11 product key (2021)
- What is a product key for Windows?
- How to check if my Windows 11 computer is activated?
- Five methods to find Windows 11 product key
- Can’t find the Windows 11 product key? Contact Microsoft Support
- Check the Windows 11 product key on your computer
Find your Windows 11 product key (2021)
We have included four different ways to find the Windows 11 product key on your computer. You can navigate to one of the methods in the table below and view the product key. Before that, we explained exactly what a product key for Windows is and how you can recognize it.
What is a product key for Windows?
A product key is basically a 25-character code that you can use to activate the Windows operating system. As we know, Windows is not a completely free operating system and you need to buy the product key to take advantage of many features. But if you buy a laptop preloaded with Windows OS, it will be activated with a product key. This is the format of the Windows product key:
PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
However, if you are building a custom PC, you will need to purchase the Retail Product Key for Windows. Keep in mind that you can continue to use this store key as you upgrade your hardware over time. On the other hand, the product key that comes with Windows laptops is tied to the motherboard and can only be used on that particular laptop. These product keys are called OEM license keys. So that’s a brief explanation of what a product key for Windows is.
How to check if my Windows 11 computer is activated?
To check whether your Windows 11 laptop or PC is activated or not, you just need to go to the Settings app. You can open the Settings app by using the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + I”. After that, go to System -> Activation. And here you can check whether your Windows 11 computer is activated or not.
The “Activation Status” must be “Active” to find your product key in Windows 11. If not, you can follow our guide to legally get cheap Windows 10 keys and activate your computer. Then you can follow this step-by-step guide to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10.
Five methods to find Windows 11 product key
Method 1: Find Windows 11 Product Key with Command Prompt
1. First press the Windows key once and search for Command Prompt. Then click “Run as administrator” in the right pane of Command Prompt search results.
2. Copy and paste the below command into the command box. Then press Enter.
wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
3. You will immediately see your product key in the command prompt window. This is the easiest method to find your product key in Windows 11.
Method 2: Find the Windows 11 product key with a third-party app
1. Another easy way to find your Windows 11 product key is to use a third party utility called ShowKeyPlus. Go ahead and download ShowKeyPlus (Free) from the Microsoft Store.
2. Once installed, open the ShowKeyPlus app on your Windows 11 PC. And voila, you’ll find the installed key, which is basically your computer’s product key, on the home page itself. In addition, you will also find other useful information such as build version, product ID, OEM key availability, etc.
Method 3: Find Product Key on Windows 11 with a VBS Script
If the above methods don’t work for some reason, don’t worry. You can also use a Visual Basic script to find your Windows 11 product key. This is an advanced method because you need to create a VBS script file yourself. To do this, follow the instructions below:
1. First, copy and paste the following code into a new Notepad file. Make sure to copy the entire script or it won’t work.
Set WshShell = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”) MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead(“HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionDigitalProductId”)) Function ConvertToKey(Key) Const KeyOffset = 52 i = 28 Chars = “BCDFWJKYK ” in ” Do Cur = 0 x = 14 Do Cur = Cur * 256 Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur 24) And 255 Cur = Cur Mod 24 x = x -1 Loop While x >= 0 i = i -1 KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput If (((29 – i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then i = i – 1 KeyOutput = “-” & KeyOutput End If Loop While i >= 0 ConvertToKey = KeyOutput End Function
2. After pasting the script into Notepad, select File -> Save As and name it “productkey.vbs” or something similar.
3. Run the VBS script and you will immediately get a pop-up window with your Windows 11 license key. That is it.
Method 4: Check the license sticker on your computer
If you have a Windows laptop, the license sticker is usually stuck to the bottom of the computer. Just turn your laptop back and look for a 25-character product key. Please note that if you bought the laptop with Windows 10 or 7, the license key will still work on your upgraded Windows 11 PC without any problems.
However, if you bought the product key online, you need to find the email or the invoice receipt and find the license key. Apart from that, if you got the product key from a retail box, look in the box and disc to find the key.
Method 5: Contact System Administrator for Product Key
If you are someone using Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise managed by your organization/company, you will not be able to access the license key yourself. In that case, you should contact your system administrator who has deployed the operating system to your computer.
You can also contact your company’s IT department to find your system’s product key. These machines generally use Microsoft’s MSDN Volume Licensing, and only an administrator can access the product key.
Can’t find the Windows 11 product key? Contact Microsoft Support
If you can’t find your Windows 11 product key after going through all the above methods, it’s best to contact Microsoft Support. You can visit this link and sign in with your Microsoft account to file your complaint. After that, enter your phone number and a Microsoft agent will call you about activation. This way you can get to know your Windows 11 product key directly from Microsoft Support.
Check the Windows 11 product key on your computer
So, these are the five ways you can find Windows 11 product key on your PC. For me, running the command in the CMD window worked like a charm. If that didn’t work for you, the third-party tool is an excellent alternative. Not to mention, you still have the VBS script that displays your license key immediately. At least that’s all of us. If you want to learn the difference between Windows 11 Home and Pro, go through our in-depth comparison. And to legally purchase a Windows license key at a lower cost, visit our linked article. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.